While you might not know it, Diastasis Recti is a common side effect that women and even some men experience. But before we begin to talk about the shapewear solutions that we have offer you, what exactly is Diastasis Recti & what are the possible causes of diastasis recti.
What is Diastasis Recti?
"Diastasis" means separation. "Recti" refers to your ab muscles called the "rectus abdominis." Essentially, it can be described as a visible bulge that protrudes from the middle of your tummy area. This bulge occurs when two of your lower ab muscles pull apart from one another and leave an empty space for that bulge to form. Also known as “mom pooch”, “mummy tummy” or “baby belly”, research suggests that at least 60% of women have it 6 weeks after birth and 30% have it a year after birth, most women have never heard of the term!
Symptoms of Diastasis Recti
The most common symptom of diastasis recti is a pooch or bulge in your stomach, especially when you strain or contract your abdominal muscles. You may also realize that your tummy looks like you are 5 month pregnant when you are actually not.
Additional symptoms include:
- Lower back pain
- Urine leaking
- Other intestinal discomfort that started or worsened after delivery
- Pain during sexual intercourse
What Causes Diastasis Recti?
Some of the common causes for diastasis recti among women include:
- Abdominal separation occurs most often in response to the uterus pushing against the abdominal wall during pregnancy. So, risk for developing diastasis recti is greater for women who have twins or who have multiple pregnancies.
- During pregnancy, hormones are also partially to blame, as they can soften connective tissue, allowing the separation to occur more easily.
- Improper weightlifting and exercise
- Yo-yo dieting How
Wink Shapewear Can Help Diastasis Recti?
Wink medical-grade compression garments help to close the diastasis recti gap when worn, “holding you in” and provide support to lower back as well as to strengthen your core muscles. Shortening recovery time, it lessens complications caused by muscle separation. Also instantly giving you the silhouette that you have dreamed of!
Browse through our Diastasis Recti collection to find the right medical compression shapewear for your needs.